Sunday, August 1, 2010

Shadowboxes and my general fear of hanging objects on walls...

So, I've been trying to decide what to do with this one large empty wall in the nursery. I found a really cute shadowbox at T.J. Maxx and wanted to create something with it. I decided that one wasn't enough, so I went back this week and found two more, completely different ones.

For the first one, I found this adorable little bathing suit (i thought it was a dress because the material is cotton) boxed up that I had worn as a baby. It is too cute not to be displayed! (sidenote: i didn't feel like breaking out the fancy camera, so please bear with these fuzzy photos from my phone!) It is so vintage looking and has little red clothespins all over it!


So, come to find out, my MOM actually wore this bathing suit as a baby and THEN gave it to me to wear as a little one. Awesome factor doubled! I am such a sucker for this stuff. Of course, Violet will be trying it on for size when the time comes!

Now, what to do with the other two boxes? I have a set of baby silverware that was given to me that I decided would be brilliant in box #2. In typical Kristin fashion, I found a way to completely ghetto rig the mounting. I laid out the pieces how I wanted them and then strung a ribbon around each one. Straight pins were inserted to hold the ribbon to the fabric backing of the shadow box, which in turn held the silverware in place! Voila!


And yes, box #3. My sisters and I took a trip downtown to one of the antique shops and found these miniature saucers and teacup for a total of $4.20... love it! This rigging was even more ghetto fabulous. I took the mesh sticky tape that is keeping my rug in place and cut it into tiny squares and stuck it to the back of the pieces. You guessed it! Straight pins were inserted through the mesh backing into the fabric of the shadow box. So far so good, they have stayed in place for 3 whole days now so hopefully I won't have to break out the hot glue gun!


Final product... please note that this setup took me a full HOUR to hang. I was a maniac with the measuring tape, measuring stick, level and mechanical pencil. Mind you, each frame has TWO holes on the back and each set of holes is positioned differently on each box. GEEZ. Oh yes, each is perfectly level and spaced. I know I have done a good job when my OCD husband sees my work and says, "Wow! I am impressed!". This coming from the man that says, "Ooooh man, I am just going to leave the room... let me know when you are done here..." anytime I attempt a project, especially with a hammer and nails.


Full corner view.


And now onto the infamous "violet" letters. Each one of these little darlings had two holes in the back, all in different spots. My brilliant friend Jenn suggested tracing the letters onto paper, cutting them out, and tracing where the nail holes were. After staring at these letters for a solid month, that's exactly what I did! Adam helped me find the center over the closet and drew a straight line with a measuring stick to follow with the bottom of each letter. I roughly eyeballed the placement of the paper letters and taped them where I wanted them. After they were in the right place, I hammered nails into the traced on holes and then ripped off the paper letters and hung the real ones. Did that make your head hurt? Yeah, I am still twitching.
Luckily, it looks perfect. :-)


Now I just need to find some cute decorative pulls to hold back the closet curtains and finish the wall over the glider (Jenn, that involves the sign you made... just trying to find some shelving to hold it with some books and small items...).

Two weeks from tomorrow is the big due date and I am feeling great about these accomplishments! I think I have pretty much everything I need for Violet. I never thought this room would come together, and I love it! Adam and I go in there and just sit and stare and imagine how much life is about to change! It is also just a little bit messed up that our daughter already has the nicest room in our house!


7 comments:

  1. hilarious! I think it's great that she has the nicest room in the whole house! she deserves it for what she's about to go through to come into this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your blog...and that silverware set looks suspiciously familiar;)...and I'd BETTER see a pic of Vi in that bonnet I sent you...and when did you get to be so creative? My kids' rooms are super boring!
    Elana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO proud of you!!!! Wanna come paint our nursery now... Mr. Barnes is procrastinating... ;)
    I can't WAIT to see it in person... sad that I am reading about this on the blog, but I'm so glad you did it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks absolutely beautiful so far and I love everything you're implementing! She is one lucky little girl to have such a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. inspiration at it's best :) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative! Great job. And yes, it's nothing short of ironic that our unborn daughters lay claim to the nicest room in our respective houses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin...this is entirely too amazing! I am so impressed! I cannot wait to see her in this beautiful nursery!

    ReplyDelete