Saturday, July 24, 2010

New nursery additions!

Just a quick post with some new items in Violet's nursery!

First things first. I had forever been battling with what to do about a glider and ottoman. I knew I wanted something fully upholstered but ideally only wanted to spend $400-500. This ended up proving almost impossible because everything I liked was in the $700-800 range! Oh, the high maintenance of it... Adam finally jumped in to help after hearing me complain and stress for the 100th time about how there was nothing to be found! He found a glider and ottoman on... wait for it... walmart.com... whaaaat? At first I was vehemently opposed to the idea, but eventually put aside my snobbery. Wal-Mart has this great "ship to store" option in which you can order an item, pay no shipping, and have it delivered to your local store. The best part is, after you pick it up, you can return it at no cost if you don't like it! Adam found what looked like a great glider/ottoman combo which had amazing reviews. We went and picked it up and it is perfect!! Even more fabulous was the price! I believe we ended up spending right about $500!


Another great find was this adorable blue side table from "Shabby to Chic" for $35! I have been trying to pull more color into the room, especially this certain shade of blue, and my sister Jessica convinced me that I could not pass it up. I am so glad she did! It also is a great spot to store all of the new books Violet has acquired. :-)


The pillow on the glider was an impulse buy from Target (Dwell Studios). I love how it looks and loooooove the little roses that mimic the ones on the lampshade that resides on the fabulous blue table.


Here is a shot of the newly organized changing table. We found some cute canvas bins from Target that complement my pink/taupe theme along with some baskets I received from my shower.


I pulled out the fisheye lens for a view of her room as it currently looks... I still have a lot of empty wall space that I am trying to decide how to fill. I must decide where to put the "Violet Jane" sign as well as the letters of her name. Yesterday I found an adorable shadowbox cabinet with a beautiful shabby chic style white frame around it. Now to decide what to fill it with! Blank walls intimidate me... any suggestions? I realize I have a lot of things with her name on it, so I don't want to be redundant here! I thought about putting a collage of frames on the blank left wall... some of our maternity shoot and eventually some of Violet's own portraits. I want to find some vintagey old frames for this but haven't had much luck. Behold the room:


Attention must be paid to the adorable bunny chair from PB Kids that my Mom bought for Vi. I cannot wait to photograph her in it! :-)


Finally, the diaper bag! Lauren told me about eBags, which is an awesome site with killer deals on handbags, diaper bags, etc. We found this timi & leslie bag for $40 something with free shipping (it originally retailed for $350... are you kidding?) The site will e-mail coupons that will take off additional discounts! The only sad part was that I assumed it would come with a changing pad zip up clutch thingy, but I found one from Target that works great! I'll be stylin' now!!


In other news, my hospital bags are packed! I am about 3 weeks from my due date at this point and getting excited! The anticipation is mounting... :-) It has been super difficult to stay motivated at this point, but I have been so blessed to have my sisters Mary Beth and Maggie visiting me for two weeks. They have been so much help with groceries, cooking, and general slave labor! My Mom will be here on the 12th and staying for a month, so hopefully Vi will cooperate with her flight itinerary. :-)

2 comments:

  1. please remind me...when is your actual due date? I'm getting REALLLLY excited and the room looks FABULOUS! Idea for shadow box. try antique stores or flea markets for vintage miniatures, such as antique doll furniture, lamps, thimbles, etc. just an idea. but it would add some art and would be a great conversation piece. Vi would love to look at all the different little things as well adn when she's old enough, she can play with them or collect some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas! My due date is August 16... 20 days!

    ReplyDelete