Friday, July 23, 2010

Heirlooms from Great Grandmother Ruth

So I was pulling out of my driveway today with Mary Beth and Maggie (my little sisters visiting from Texas) in the car with me when I saw a package on my front doorstep. I loooooooove getting packages! Upon further inspection, I saw that it was from my Grandmother (Granny Ruth... the same one who made the awesome nursery rhyme quilt in Violet's nursery). Totally not knowing what to expect, we opened it to find a box with a letter inside...


Here is what the letter says (sidenote: it was written on her birthday!):

"15 July 2010

To: All my Grandchildren,

This box contains items I've been making and saving just for you.

The Christening gown is for my Great Grandchildren. I made it in 1997, hoping you would someday dress your baby in it and send me a picture. (Boys too!)


The heirloom blanket was made in 1995. I learned how when I was working at a little sewing shop, "Threads of Time."


The booties were worn by my babies (maker unknown).


I hope these heirlooms bring as much pleasure to you as they always have to me. Pass them around to your cousins. Make it a Family Tradition.


They should stand the test of time and cleaning by gently soaking them in Woolite (or like), squeeze out the water, lay the blanket out flat to dry - hang the gown on it's hanger.


May the Lord bless and keep you and your families in the Palm of His Hand. Rely and trust Him. He is faithful.

My love, forever,
Granny Ruth Wilson Richmond"


...Wow. I definitely just teared up again reading the letter. The first time around, the bawling was uncontrollable! I love her so much and it means the world to me to be able to start this tradition with my family. I am so glad I get to hang onto these items until the next sister or cousin has a baby!

Keep an eye out... the next blog post will be about some updates to Violet's nursery!

4 comments:

  1. What a precious grandmother you have!!! Oh My Goodness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is extremely cool! Now, you know you MUST post pictures of Violet in the christening gown for all of us....

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww, kristin, this is so wonderful! What a wonderful woman of God to have a part of your family! You are very blessed and the items are amazing.

    ReplyDelete