Monday, July 12, 2010

On being crafty and a preview of Vi's nursery!

So I am not the craftiest person ever, but after asking advice of friends I decided to attempt painting a design on Violet's wall based on a teacup I found at Anthropologie. Luckily, my sister Jessica has been in town since last Wednesday and has been a SUPER amazing help to me in getting stuff done in the nursery. Since she and Lauren threw a baby shower for me at my house this past Saturday, it gave me a lot of motivation to get some to do's checked off. Here is a shot of the teacup I was working with...
One of my friends suggested that I crop this photo and have it copied onto transparency. She let me borrow her overhead projector and we got to work (with fingers crossed)! We directed the image to the right spot on the wall and began tracing all of the details in pencil. Here is Jess showing her mad tracing skills.
Next, we painted over the outlines of the design and began filling in. Even though we had a guide it was still a bit of freehanding because it was hard to make "perfect" lines and curves. Luckily, the design lent itself to a "shabby" look so it was ok! Granted, it took a lot longer than we thought it would!!
Here is a shot of the first coat filled in...
We waited until the next morning and went back over everything with a second coat and were really pleased/shocked with how it turned out! Not too bad for being so challenged in the craft department! Final product and a few details in Vi's nursery...
the chandelier totally makes the room...
The handpainted sign with her name was made by my friend Jenn (check out her blog, she is so talented!) and it is still waiting for a permanent place of residence along with the lamp.
We took the doors off her closet and hung curtains in their place. I have a way to go with organization and details but I love how it is looking!
Here is a shot of the gorgeous nursery rhyme quilt my Grandmother made for Violet along with a photo of me at 35 weeks officially. I couldn't be happier to have the quilt displayed on the wall! I think I look so funny... kind of like humpty dumpty. :-)
We are still waiting on the glider and ottoman to arrive as well as adding more to the walls and other finishing touches. 5 weeks until Violet's due date!

3 comments:

  1. You have done a wonderful job with Violet's nursery! It's so beautiful!
    I love the colors and all the details so far. Plus I'm pretty pleased with how well the sign is going to look in there with everything.
    You do not look like humpty dumpty - you look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bummed we missed the shower but soooo excited for you both!!! You look breathtakingly beautiful and I am so jealous of the Barnes pictures...we will have to recruit him for the next bump! The nursery looks perfect for a Salvia baby girl and it looks like you and your sis did a great job. Please tell me we can get together soon?!

    ReplyDelete